Auto-Tag Rules save you work and time by tagging new posts for you. Each time we ingest new posts in Rival IQ, we'll check whether it satisfies any of your rules. If so, we'll help you tag the matching posts, so the next time you're in the app you can go straight to your analysis!
You should create a Rule if:
- tagging can be automated by common keywords or hashtags
- you need to tag similar posts (and a lot of them!) now and in the future
This article will explain Auto-Tag Rules and how to create one.
Step 0: What is an Auto-Tag Rule?
An Auto-Tag Rule does powerful work for you using 1) a keyword search and 2) your tag of choice.
The Auto-Tag Rule will use the keyword search to check for matching posts in the landscape. If there are matching posts, it'll apply the tag you specified to those posts.
Rules will tag:
- all existing and new/future posts until you delete the rule
- matching posts for every company and channel in the landscape. (Currently, you cannot specify a rule for a specific company or channel)
Step 1: Create an Auto-Tag Rule
1. First, enter the Post Tag Manager by clicking the blue "Bulk Edit Tags" button on the Post Tags page.
2. Then, click the blue "Auto-Tag Rules" button.
3. Select the tag you want to automate.
This is the tag that will be applied to posts that match this Rule. Use the dropdown to select an existing tag or create a new tag.
4. Add a keyword search for the Rule.
Rival IQ will use this query to find posts for this tag. Hover over the "search tips" to get help refining your query.
5. Click "Create Rule".
6. Your newly created Rule will appear.
A lightning bolt icon will also appear next to the Post Tag to show that it's being automated.
Step 2: Sit back and relax!
Rival IQ will look through all of the existing posts in the landscape (across all companies and channels) to find posts that match your query. If we find any, we'll tag them!
This process may take a few minutes. If Rules are still running, you can hover over "Applying Post Tags" at the top to see which tags are still waiting to be applied.
Once it's done, you'll see a blue Reload button. Click it to refresh your screen with the most updated post tags.
You can view posts tagged by the Rule by using the Post Tags dropdown and filtering to see just those posts.
In my example, there weren't any "moisturizer" posts in my date range, so I'm going to touch up the search query.
Step 3: Touch up the Auto-Tag Rule
1. There are two ways to start editing the rule.
You can click the lightning bolt icon next to the tag name.
Or, open the Auto-Tag Rules modal, and click the edit icon next to the Rule.
2. Edit the query and click Update Rule.
Rival IQ will clean up and tag posts according to your new query.
Step 4: Touch up posts tagged by the Rule
Post Tags added by a Rule can be deleted if you don't want it on a post. Simply delete the tag from the post.
Note: I exited out of the Post Tag Manager to see this view.
Step 5: Analyze
As long as Rival IQ is done applying post tags (notice the checkmark at the top right), this Post Tags table will show your most recent analysis.
Auto-Tag Rules will continue to run while you're not using Rival IQ, so each time you come back to this table, you're seeing all the time you saved!