Auto-Tag Rules save you work and time by tagging new posts for you. Each time we ingest new posts in Rival IQ, we'll check whether it satisfies any of your rules. If so, we'll help you tag the matching posts, so the next time you're in the app you can go straight to your analysis!
You should create a Rule if:
Tagging can be automated by common keywords, hashtags or engagement rates.
You need to tag similar posts (and a lot of them!) now and in the future.
You are tagging contests, user-generated content, or references to link in bio.
Step 0: What is an Auto-Tag Rule?
An Auto-Tag Rule does powerful work for you using a set of rules to detect and tag all of the posts in your landscape.
The following types of Auto-Tag are available:
Keyword-Based: finds keywords or phrases within the post description
Contest or Giveaway: detects posts that are likely a contest or giveaway
User-Generated Content: tags post with photo or video attribution
Link in Bio: identifies Instagram or TikTok posts that reference a link in bio
High-Engagement Detection: set thresholds for engagement rate and totals
Rules will tag:
all existing and new/future posts until you delete the rule
matching posts for every company and channel in the landscape. (Currently, you cannot specify a rule for a specific company or channel)
Step 1: Create an Auto-Tag Rule
1. First enter the Post Tag manager by expanding the Landscape section in the side-navigation, and selecting Post Tag Manager. On this page, you can create Auto-Tags or apply tags manually. In this article we'll take you through the steps to add an Auto-Tag based on keywords within the post description.
2. Select 'Create New Tag'
3. Select the type of tag you wish to create. In this example we are choosing "Keyword-Based". You can see there are options for other Auto-Tags or you can create a tag without any rules for manually selecting posts.
4. Enter the keywords related to the tag you are creating. For this example I will create a tag for anti-wrinkle creams so I will use the following search query:
anti-wrinkle OR wrinkle* OR "fine lines" OR "frown lines" OR anti-aging
Notice I included an asterisk after wrinkle* this will capture both wrinkle and wrinkles and wrinkling. Phrases should be in quotation marks and keywords should be joined by a capital OR. See more advanced search tips in this article.
5. Name your tag. This tag will automatically be applied to all matching posts in your landscape including future posts.
Congratulations, you created an Auto-Tag which will appear in the list on the left side of the Post Tag Manager.
A lightning bolt icon will also appear next to the Post Tag to show that it's being automated.
Step 2: Sit back and relax!
Rival IQ will look through all of the existing posts in the landscape (across all companies and channels) to find posts that match your query. If we find any, we'll tag them!
This process may take a few minutes. If Rules are still running, you can hover over "Applying Post Tags" at the top to see which tags are still waiting to be applied.
Once it's done, you'll see a blue Reload button. Click it to refresh your screen with the most updated post tags.
You can view posts tagged by the Rule by using the Post Tags dropdown and filtering to see just those posts.
If you haven't reloaded the page the tag may show 0 posts next to the new tag.
Step 3: Touch up the Auto-Tag Rule
1. There are two ways to start editing the rule.
You can click the lightning bolt icon next to the tag name.
Or, click Manage Auto-Tags, and click the wrench icon next to the Rule.
2. Edit the query and click Update Rule.
Rival IQ will clean up and tag posts according to your new query.
Step 4: Touch up posts tagged by the Rule
Post Tags added by a Rule can be deleted if you don't want it on a post. Simply delete the tag from the post.
Note: I exited out of the Post Tag Manager to see this view.
Step 5: Analyze
As long as Rival IQ is done applying post tags (notice the checkmark at the top right), this Post Tags table will show your most recent analysis.
Auto-Tag Rules will continue to run while you're not using Rival IQ, so each time you come back to this table, you're seeing all the time you saved!